Sunday, June 10, 2007

Father's Day Craft

Matthew and Daddy! Chris gets Matthew out of bed most every morning. This picture was taken last weekend while they were playing after Matthew woke up. I overheard them on the baby monitor. Chris was teaching Matthew a new word....it was FART!!! Yes, yes, oh my, and to think I have another boy on the way! Boys will be boys I guess :-) And, I do love my boys even though they can be a lil gross at times!!!

Father's Day is next week and we're getting ready!!!! On Friday I took Matthew to a craft day hosted by MOMs Club. We made a craft for his daddy! It's really very easy and cute! All it takes is a small tub of Play-Doh. And, all you do is use a rolling pin to roll out the Play-Doh into a circle shape. While doing this I let Matthew play and explore with a little Play-Doh while keeping a close eye on him. At his age (21 months) you have to be careful they don't put it in their mouth! Then, have your child press their hand print into the rolled out Play-Doh. This part may take a couple of attempts - Matthew liked to try and grip the Play-Doh while doing this. But, on the third try we got it! I helped him push his hand into the Play-Doh to get a good impression. Once this is done, use a tooth pick to write "Happy Father's Day". We also put the date and Love, Matthew on the work of art! And, finally bake it in the oven on wax paper at 375 for an hour. Keep an eye on it while doing it - I actually only had to put ours in the oven for 45 minutes. Another option is let it air dry but, this could take a week!

Next week Matthew will do a Father's Day treat for his daddy at story time. I wonder what it will be?!?!? We have story time every Wednesday! This past week I signed Matthew up for the summer reading program. It's very neat and best of all free! Children from birth through elementary school read books or are read to. Incentives (bookmarks, door hangers, etc are the reward for reading . And, at the twenty book a little trophy is awarded! Encouraging reading is so important for children, as it helps them develop a vivid imagination!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I love the playdoh idea!! How cute and easy! Thanks for sharing!:)

Mel